Tuesday, November 2, 2010

So Sunday bloody fucking Sunday the 7th


It’s creeping up on me. It really is happening on Sunday. 42.2 bloody hellish kilometers without resting. I’ve mentally won it for a long time now, but I understand that’s different from doing it for real. In real life, as we like to say.

Trouble started two weeks ago when Samantha asked me how many miles I was up to each day. How many miles?!? Use the metrics system if you want to make yourself understandable, woman.
Sam’ told me her brother was doing about 15-20 miles a day at about a month before the race.

I run like 30-40 comfy minutes a day. And after some research (thank you WolframAlpha) I learned it’s approx 4-6 miles depending on pace and mood.

But regardless of metrics system or not I understand 4 miles is not 20 miles.

Getting those miles in your legs (at once) is apparently crucial before the race.

Did my 72nd Street and back a few weeks ago, but even that is only 15 miles or so. And I did it once. Today an hour, but this is also when you need to slow down and start resting up. So all of my training has been:
a) too little
b) not enough
c) pointless
d) all of the above

We’re still optimistic and are still aiming for the top spot though. Just a little hesitant how to pull it off.

On another annoying note I haven’t decided what to wear yet. A tiny but vital point in the preparations. It’s going to be cold as hell (it was summer last week and was now freezing cold today). Should I wear tee or long sleeve? Shorts or long legged tights?

Don’t even get me started on the shoes. I still hear the only review I’ve read about them in my head. Echoing. Everyday.

“You wouldn’t run a marathon in these but they’re pretty much perfect for everything else.”

No comments: