Thursday, August 6, 2009

Social Media joy

First of all – I love it. Great. Immense. Impressive. Uncharted. Undiscovered. Etc. etc. and etc. all that and so much more, I won’t do a poor attempt of adding my contribution to exploring why it’s so much fun. Someone else does that better; there’s enough self-proclaimed evangelists out there anyway. Which brings me to my point.

The evangelists, the ones that follow and discuss every single new tech-invention, tech-something, social media study, apps, sites, widgets, downloads, updates, all that and much more. Or as normal people call them – the nerds. Never before has it been more concerned OK to be a nerd. In fact, nerds are more appreciated than the sports-jock nowadays and I have very little to say about that. I love it though. Don’t get me wrong.

What I love the most is the way explore and discuss non-relevant things with each other as if their life depended on it, or sometimes talk about casually, like normal people did back in the days over a few pints on the pub. IRL, so to speak (sooo 2002).



A guru posts all his iPhone apps on his blog and the response is tireless “Wow, never seen so many apps before – good luck”, another one anxiously asks “Oh My Goodness. I can only imagine how long it takes your phone to sync! :)” - according to the ‘guru’ and author of then post “surprisingly fast now that I have a 3GS!”, and the comments continue, ”You're not alone. But I am sure nobody beats you :-)” someone admirably praises. What strikes me the most is the tremendous effort they put in doing this. Just venture Mashable for a minute and discover how determination of talking about ones and zeros looks like, from both the author and the followers/commentators, the ones who give special effort a face. And when someone talks about what other nerds are up to, e.g. "Top 5 Social Networks for Gamers" like actual lives depend on it, more nerds (perhaps) mainly from Silicon Valley respond with faster pace than Bolt on twitter* and internet's about to implode.

Only group of people that can compare with this are football aficionados (biggest sport in the world) religious freaks (all around the world) and religious freaks – but from another religion (also worldwide). It’s remarkable. And I honestly love it. Comments are by far the best/funniest/most interesting thing to read on YouTube for example. By far. More on that later.


*Internal-internet-fun/joke.

No comments: