Thursday, October 21, 2010

"You wouldn't run a marathon in a pair of these, but they're pretty much perfect for everything else."

Those are the words after the shoes I'm supposed to run the Marathon in, got reviewed in GQ. Now even though GQ isn't your Men's Health, this do cause some concern in my head. I'm absolutely mind-fucked. I've bought my Nike Free Run this summer, in order to break in them in properly for Novembers's Marathon. And so I have. See, the shoes are totally different than any other running shoes I've ever tried. (That's sort of the point too, but we're getting there).

Scientists have discovered that the usual - normal - running shoe is bad for your body. Actually, our entire running technique, that I'd guess 99% use, is bad - wrong - for us.

Heal hitting the ground first is immensely bad for us, as it break up the entire body and your knee takes the shit. So scientists realized that we should hit the ground with the heal last and developed a new running shoe built for this (it has no air, and is pretty much very much nothing more than a sole - hence the term Barefoot Running, which is also the point).

But after a few months of developing this new technique (which I'm still learning) I read this shit in GQ and my world is about to collapse. In an act of desperation I tried today to go back to my old running shoes. The ones with air.

Now I'm no Usain Bolt here, but jeee was that a big difference. Didn't know how to handle myself. Should I heal down first, or continue with my new running technique, but utilize the bigger softer Air shoe?

I'm just mumbling now, but wanted to ventilate my concern about this. It's done. I'm fucked.

No comments: