Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Chuck Brown: Monster

"This is Chuck Brown. He is real and I guess, a monster.
For a show at Copro Gallery in Santa Monica, I was invited by Travis Louie to offer a piece for a show titled, 'MONSTERS?'
I looked at the list of invites and then imagined all of the usual takes on what a monster is thought to be. Perhaps some will be cute, some ugly. I went in another direction. What if I were to paint a realistic version of something usually thought of as cute and benign? For no particular reason and maybe several, I chose Charlie Brown. My son just finished his role as Pig Pen in a play at his school - 'Charlie Brown and the Spelling Bee' and since I was the set designer, I thought about the look of the play for weeks. For some reason we all chatted about that THING on Charlie Brown's forehead. Is it hair or some sort of scar and hair?"
CLICK

No comments: