Thursday, August 5, 2010

Top Ten Movies I haven't Seen

OK this is just totally random. I will remember more great ones I haven’t seen. But it’s worth a try. And yes, there are way too many great, awesome bla bla bla bla movies that everyone just has to see. Adam’s Rib, All The King’s Men, West Side Story, A Streetcar Named Desire, The Thin Man, All About Eve, all Charlie Chaplin’s and Billy Wilder’s movies for instance, But I just don’t simply feel the urge. No doubt they’ll be awesome, but they just don’t grab me. This is mor, out of the blue. Let’s roll:


1.
The Killing
. Kick off with a shocker? We don’t know to be honest. Not sure if it should be all the way up here, and it might just place itself here out of sheer respect for The King. But Stanley Kubrick has never ever done a bad second of a moment of a scene in any of his films. FACT. I expect his first film to be of no exception.



2.
Any Akira Kurosawa movie.
I know all about how he has inspired pretty much every other movie ever made after his, with the westerns’ and Quentin Tarantino being the most prominent ones.



3.
Paul Thomas Anderson’s latest, still untitled project.
He's like Christopher Nolan, every movie he makes is a) different b) absolutely incredible. With a cast of Philip Seymour-Hoffman, Jeremy Renner, Reese Witherspoon and Thomas Jane and Philip Baker Hall (both rumored) starring in another epic PT Anderson film that is described as:

“A 1950s-set drama centered on the relationship between a charismatic intellectual known as "the Master" whose faith-based organization begins to catch on in America, and a young drifter who becomes his right-hand man.”

It could very well skyrocket to number one. So before I actually do start changing the order here, let’s move on (Hence three is my number so it’s not that bad being here).



4.
Snow White.
Yes, bit of a shocker I know, but it doesn’t really seem fair to go watch Toy Story 3 on 3-D IMAX theatre before I’ve seen the very first colored cartoon, now does it?



5.
Pretty much any Ingmar Bergman film, cause I've seen none.
I know. As a Swede I should be extra ashamed. But there’s just some Forrest Gump-gene in me that makes me not even bother enough. I know they’ll all be as equally miserable as great. But I just haven’t gotten around it. Soon. One day though, I will watch my first Ingmar Bergman film and it will be glorious.



6.
Rocky.
Yes. That’s right. I haven’t seen it. But ever since it won the Oscar in front of Taxi Driver (I know way before I was born and even cared about movies – but I can do it in retribution) I've kinda had something against it. But guess what, I know how it ends and love the score.



7.
E.T.
Nope. Not this one either. It’s really not one I’m dying to see, but more of the sheer nostalgia and cult-phenomena it possess.



8.
Schindler’s List.
I know all about it. The quotes, “I want more!” and the only color in the scene is the little girl’s red dress and that she later gets killed. I just… haven’t.



9.
Field Of Dreams.
Not really, but any film where always-underrated hero Kevin Costner’s got praise is worth a watch. OK. so the more I think about it the weirder this one is. Super fucking weird. Can I remove it or is this list laminated!?


UPDATE: I've changed it. Number 9 is no longer Field Of Dreams. It is M*A*S*H. Not convinced here either, but at least I believe this is a modern classic I could appreciate. Well now that I think about it, I change my mind again.

UPDATE 2: It is now Crank. Yes, the horrible action-packed film with hero Jason Statham.

UPDATE 3: But then again, I might just pick Rock'n'Rolla. That has Guy Ritchie made, and he discovered Statham in Long Stock & Smoking Barrels. Good that settles it, I'll pick that one.


10.
Dr. Zhivago & Casablanca & Gone With The Wind.
All are equally epic to me. All are equally classical. All are equally exhausting to even begin setting your mind to start watching a fifteen hour soap opera of handsome men, helpless women and scenes where they actually had 10 000 extras. Extra minus for myself for not having watched Gone With The Wind, since I’ve had it on VHS for as long as I can remember (no not really, but say, ten years).



BONUS!
28 Days Later.
I don’t know how many times I’ve rented this. Kept it way over due and returned it without watching it and having paid the stupid fee. Ok, so now I have seen it, but it went on for years. I could keep it for weeks, just to force myself to watch it. To give myself enough guilty conscience to watch it and that I had to pay so much money if I didn’t. But I failed so, so many times. Miserably.


But since I’ve seen it and happily can label it as one of the best movies ever made, it gives me hope for my list above – that it is worth watching these movies. These movies actually might have potential.

No comments: