Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Mr. Pete Postlethwaite

"An odd-looking but quite fascinating bloke with prominent, bony cheeks and a rawboned figure, distinguished character"


Those are the first words that comes up on imdb about this distinguished gentleman and fine, fine actor. Never considered myself a huge fan of his, i.e. I never rushed to go see on of his films nor did I search whenever he was releasing a new one (not your Tom Cruise, so to speak). It was more that he always seemed to be in really fantastic movies.


And he was a very fascinating bloke. My most dominant memories of him are from Brassed Off, Romeo + Juliet (GHA!), The Usual Suspects (Kobayashi!) and more recently Inception and of course, The Town. 


He sure as hell was odd looking bloke, the same way Steve Buscemi is an odd looking but fascinating man. They are far apart as persons, characters they played and guess they don't have much more in common than their profession. But whatever they do, they do it good. (Very, very odd slip into Steve, I know, but I'll just keep it there anyway).


Pete died today at the age of 64. And even though you might not instantly miss him from the big screen, you will remember his great performances from the smaller parts he did that will never be forgotten. Pete, I will actually miss you.

No comments: