Sunday, June 15, 2008

Sorry, what?

In the army service we had the 'in-and-out test'.
You take the exact same test when you discharge as when you joined, checking faults and errors that might’ve occurred during your service, so they can later deny all involvements in any post-related illness or injuries.
It includes examine simple things like hearing, eyes, etc.
I still remember when the doctor said I had one fault in my hearing test.
The carousel was spinning and I was off to buy snacks on the amusement field; I’m the type who consider one wrong to be worth celebrating, and as the doctor said it involved my speaking tone I was already gone in my head, riding up and down the roller coaster.
And now you pay the price of this joyride.
For example; just had a meeting and reviewed some of our ideas, and as Mr. Digital, was sitting across the table and gave us some pointers I couldn’t hear a full sentence he was saying.
Did I tell him and asked him to repeat himself? Of course, any sane person would do that.
But, like Ferdinand, I sat, just nodding my head, puzzling my eyebrows from time to time and gave the notion of being very much indeed involved and present in the situation; don’t want him to think that I might be thinking about what he’s saying and not really listening to him.
That would be rude.
This hearing problem has only grown into an even worse thing than the problem itself.
It’s not that I’m shy, but I just grown custom that people find it annoying with a smiling lad on the other side of the table going constantly; SORRY, WHAT?
So I just sit there quietly, smile and hope that someone else, much brighter than me will take notes and explain it later, in a much, much less noisy environment than a conversation.

No comments: