Friday, February 19, 2010

Commute Swimming – WTF

Sometimes there are a few of us but yesterday was ridiculous. Sooo many people in the pool. Splashing all over. It was a line of people waiting to get in to that pool. People sitting on the sofa’s watching every stroke, every turn of every swimmer. Waiting for them to either drown or reside. Lap after lap. I barely manage to focus on my swim/technique when I’m alone in the pool, so this just freaked and stressed me out completely.

Ok, no pauses, avoid eye-contact. Don't give them the chance to even start thinking about sharing your course. Well that failed even before I know I thought about thinking that thought.

Worse part was when I had shared course with this rookie girl (yeah some are actually shoddier than I – c’mon, she dived – LOL) and two other (a couple – one being the annoyingly great Olympic swimmer aspirant, the other his almost equally good girlfriend) were occupying the other two courses. This dude, let’s call him Meatball, had stood on the pool side for a while. Reflecting on his options, but not taking the necessary step (i.e. jump in!) but the second the girl left my course he instantly dived into mine. WTF!? Leaving the couple's alone in their respective course (yes, people actually did leave after a while).

Have you ever tried breaststrokes when you’re confined to the wall? Yeah. It hurts like fuck hitting that wall with your toes – not to mention the ladder. Couldn’t understand why he chose my course. Was it because I rocked – less – than the Olympic Swimming aspirant? Wouldn’t that have been the best/most clever choice – share with someone who actually manage to avoid someone else in the pool, not [unintentionally] kicking the other ones head when turning. I know I’d prefer that.

No comments: