Thursday, February 4, 2010

Poor Michael Bay

There is a man that rules Hollywood but sadly someone that Hollywood seem to hate back. It's not just Hollywood. A lot of people despise him. Think he's over the top, too much and just a man with a flair for guns and BANGS. Well, that might be true in a sense. But he's also the man who knows how to use it. Right.

Don't think I'm kidding, being ironic or sarcastic here (all of my friends think so when I bring him up in admiration). I think Michael Bay rocks. Big time. Mr. Entertainment. Everything he touches is your best trip to heroism, big BANGS and nicest slow-mos ever. PLUS he always has the best music of all time - everyone must agree that The Rock, Armageddon and Transformer contains the best hero-music since Gladiator and Last Of The Mohicans - have that playing when you run and try to stop. I dare you.

He has given us The Rock - I think I almost fainted in the bathroom scene the first tim I saw it. Armageddon - I wept. And most recently - two of the world's best films ever made - Transformers 1 & 2. Which is part of the reason I pity him. The first one changed what I even dreamt was possible for special effects. Unbelievable. Seriously. Unimaginable until he showed us the most mesmerizing effects ever - until Avatar came and kicked butt that is (christ I pray Transformers 3 will come in 3-D pleaseplease!).

It was then later nominated for an Oscar for - Best Special Effects. A sure winner. Would probably have bet my entire life it would win. Did it? Of course not. Hollywood hates him, remember. But not only did he not win - the Golden Compass won. A film that - literally - has some of the worse special effects I've ever seen. Where polar bears looks like a poorer version of the Coca Cola bears in the ad. So bad I actually thought it was some sort of weird point; that it was supposed to be like that. But when the other animals showed up and suddenly was - good - my heart stopped and all respect for everyone vanished.

I then waited for the error to be corrected this year and the redemption of Transformers 2 - Revenge Of The Fallen would collect its belated prize. That's when Avatar came out and first thing that struck me was how sorry I felt for Michael Bay. Not this year either, buddy (only this time for a good reason - Avatar really rocks).

Then the nominations came out. Oddly enough only two films were nominated (still puzzled about that - they had friggin' ten for Best Picture). None of them was either Transformers 2 or Avatar. I am still recovering from this.

No comments: