Friday, February 5, 2010

Crowd Swimming FAIL

Just as I've learnt how to complete my entire 40-min swim only freestyling (no breaststrokes; pauses yes) all things fucked up. The pool was crowded this morning. Immediately wanted to escape back to bed, but shared my lane with a girl (who I had trouble not bumping into - skills + attention + technique FAIL).

All the other lanes had two people in them as well and all of the swimmers were Olympic aspirants. I freaked out of course and instinctively tried to keep up with them. Two laps later I was absolutely exhausted. 100% of my attention was on the stripe in the bottom of the pool to keep my swimming straight and not bump in to another swimmer - PLUS all the things I need to do to stay afloat. Swimming, breathing, turning, strokes, how the arms hit the surface, how they propel down and push forward and rotate AND the everlasting kicking of the feet. My gosh. Couldn't tell breathing from not breathing and was about a moment from drowning (luckily I didn't).

Moments later it was all about enduring. Forget Johnny Weissmuller next to you and focus on your breathing. And strokes. And turning. Aah. The things we do for Hercules. Now eggs. A champions breakfast.

Johnny


Me / Hercules

No comments: