Monday, August 11, 2008

Abracadabra

I remember my first encounter with true magic but not my exact age, but I'm sure it was before second grade cause dad was still living home.
It was daytime and my brothers and I were having one of our countless fights and my dad pulled me aside.
I was really upset cause they tried to steal this particular truck I was playing with.
He asked me to be the better man and ignore this and said I would be rewarded if I did.
Usually my dad brought home bunch of sodas and AKO-fudge of various flavors from somewhere, hid it, and only at special occasions were we given some.
Like when you vacuumed, helped out in the kitchen, or when you acted like the better man I thought as I stepped away, sure to be sipping on a Coke before soon.
He performed his usual trick where he kept the object of desire behind his back and you picked an arm and before my rapt eyes a shiny new truck of the exact same model we were arguing about was presented.
Now mark my words when I say this; the e x a c t same. From the identical size of the tires, composition of the wheels to the lines and shapes of the coachwork. Everything exactly like the other one.
Except it wasn’t rusty and aged, but bright green and still accompanied by the fresh smell of new.
As of today I still have no answer how he did this and when I ask him, he just chuckles and say he doesn’t even remember this.
But one lucky boy won't forget

No comments: