Sunday, September 28, 2008

A day in pictures

Strolled around Tokyo on autopilot-random-mode until I met a huge park that turned out to be the The Imperial Palce East Gardens. Not bad at all, I thought, and entered its mighty gates. It had a lot of Japanese taking pictures of a red flower and an amused Swede taking pictures of them in it.Climbed the curious aisle to get a better point of view, only to discover that it was a lot of trees in this park. Took a restricted picture of this house.
This is my arm reaching across the wall. Its size was immense but after a good compilation of green trees and big stonewalls, I exited.I got a bit lost as I now ended up from another angle than I entered from (my grand plan is to walk as straight as possible to diminish getting too lost).
A huge department store appeared and the rumor of a great shopping-city was confirmed.Also found English magazine's and mango-juiced away an hour or so in a café reading about Erik, who after a car crash been condemned as a life-time prisoner encapsulated by his own body, i.e the lock-in-syndrome. He wasn’t as “lucky” as Jean-Dominique Bauby (hero in The Diving Bell and the Butterfly) who “could at least" blink his eyes”.
No, Erik is doomed to never move another muscle in his entire body for as long as he lives.
He can’t even roll his eyes sideways, blink, or produce a single teardrop. But yes, his body and mind works "perfectly", he can hear, feel and think just like you and I.Although it’s a story of love, hope and pure real life-amazingness (Erik’s been imprisoned for nine years), it was too depressing and I went back to the hotel.
But before that I got lost and tried to remember trademarks to guide me home.The relief of asphalt soon emerged along with grandpa one-eye. and managed after a while find my hotel.I will now go for a run around the The Imperial Palce East Gardens. The best (only) park I know of in Tokyo, and this will be my view for the next hour or so.

No comments: