Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Alien Of Extraordinary Ability

And so the mail arrived informing about the thrilling, and highly anticipated news.
“CHRISTIAN - Your visa was approved! (EAC1001951315- Premium Processing Case Update”

Or no, wait. First I got an email from Domingo, congratulating me but before I had time to figure out what the hell was going on, Jakob, the ECD called me and yelled the great news over the speakerphone in a room full of cheering people. Although, or perhaps, because I was still outrageously sick, half-lying(/dying) in bed (sofa), I had hard time grasping this information.

In summary; I felt frustrated. Who were all these people? And why the hell were they the people telling me these news? I hadn’t been properly informed of by the lawyer – the only person who should be first breaking them to me. She was the only person I wanted to hear it confirmed by. Not some Spaniard or yelling boss. Her. The lawyer. The woman with the facts.

Then, before I had time to hang up, there it was. Popping into my mailbox with the same much longed-for arrival of a white dove ending war with peace. The mail with the blissful topic-line:
“CHRISTIAN - Your visa was approved! (EAC1001951315- Premium Processing Case Update”

I had prepared and rehearsed numerous times for this moment. When it finally happened, it wasn’t all that crazy joy and exuberant happiness I felt (maybe cause of my death-threatening sickness). Since this was Plan A. and I didn’t have a Plan B. my only option if this would fail was Plan C: get married, and to be honest, as much as I do love Americans, nothing I really wanted. That’s why it was more, sighing relieve.

No comments: