Friday, November 20, 2009

Yet another irrational decision

far too many good TV-shows are made nowadays. The US of A is really good at producing them and they come in numbers. It started way before the most recent boom (e.g. Sex & The City, Sopranos) and has started to out-do even the most daring Hollywood budget. Main reason why they’re so darn good, besides having the enormous budget is, time. Time to develop characters and story worthy of your interest (compare to any given “cozy rom-com” nowadays and you catch my drift). And time is also its own Achilles heal. You have more choices sitting in your sofa with the remote and its zillions of options a simple click away, than in a theatre (basically one then; leave before it ends – but then what?) and TV-makers knows this. But most of all – they respect that, and repay it with some bad ass TV-shows.

I try to be very selective when it comes to new TV shows. Basically cause I know they’ll be great. That’s why I haven’t seen a single second of a single episode of Sopranos for instance. I don’t have time to be captivated by yet another show. It consumes me. I get greedy. I want to have it all. Now. Cause time, is not your ally here. Waiting for a new episode every week doesn’t work. I need to download the whole series and watch it in one scope. Like I did when I bought the full Season 3 of Lost at 10pm on Friday night and finished it 4am Saturday night/morning. That was great. That’s how it should be consumed.

And now, as my selectiveness has expanded, heck I haven’t even had time to watch the series I really want to watch (hello, Eastbound & Down – I apologize – I will come for you, and not to mention finishing season two of Mad Men (3 is airing now) and take on the most recent season of Lost so I can catch up when the last one airs – soon! And The Wire – all the great things I’ve heard about you; can’t wait to confirm them – I know I will), I’ve catapulted myself into two series I never intended to follow. The Ultimate Fighter and True Blood. Both very different from each another but both equally addictive. And it’s all because of my brother, roommate and best friend, Staffan. I curse him – cause I have no choice. What am I supposed to do when he puts it on? Leave? Do something productive with my time? Hell no. I’m hooked.


*They aren’t.

No comments: